Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Wednesday, September 9, 2015
9/16-Seasons HomeCare/Karen Kauffman
9/23-CERT Disaster Program/Joe Wilkey
10/14-WPD Citizens Police Academy
10/21-Kosciusko Cares/Tammy Cotton
10/28-Oregon Trails Experience/Randy Polston
President Rick Kerlin led our meeting.
89 Optimists & guests:
- Kathy McDowell-guest of Angie Tom
- Bill Crane-guest of Denny Andrews.
- Doug Blatz-guest of Rick Kerlin.
- Bob Walker-guest of KT Kishan.
- Dave Anson-Program.
- WCHS Girls Golf Team and coach Tad Neiter.
Door Greeters: Trace Hansen.
Prayer: Alan Grossnickle.
Pledge was given to the American flag.
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honorees: Happy Birthday to Everett Nifong, Sam Whitaker, Rob Edling, Pam Galloway, Rusty Meier and Chris Wiggins!
Check Presentation: Jenny Lucht presented a check to Chad Zaucha from the YMCA to support the Kosciusko County Promise Program in the amount of $2,500 from the club. This program is a pilot program that is helping to start 529 college funding accounts for kids in kindergarten, first and second grade in our county. The want to help 3,000 accounts for kids and put $125 in each and every account.
- Gina Voelz announced the date for Art In The Park to be September 19th. It will be from 9-11am and there will be elementary teachers doing different art projects for the kids to join in and do. They need volunteers to help make this a success, please let Gina know if you can help.
- Jay Tate announced Family Safety Day on Saturday, September 12th. One more volunteer was needed and filled this morning.
- Trina Hoy will be taking pictures for the new Optimist Directory. Please get with her if you need a picture!
- Jason Rich and Jim Hayes are updating the Optimist Directory so make sure your contact information is correct. Also inquire about ads if your company is interested.
Joel Wihebrink along with all of the other Past Optimist Presidents inducted:
- Bill Crane-sponsored by Denny Andrews.
Jennifer Pyle announced-Bill Landrigan.
Children-Patrick, Jill, Kathleen and Jack.
Grandchildren-15 plus 2 great grandchildren.
City of residence-Warsaw for 52 years.
Hobbies-Singing, reading spiritual material, watching weather reports, farming and mowing grass.
Burning Desire-To go to heaven.
Key to Success-Trust in God’s grace and then be purposely active.
Honors-To have a wonderful wife, the priviledge of working with young people for 40 years, Mary Louise Lowe Life Award, & Warsaw Man of the Year 2010.
Something nobody know-He was shy as a child and he was a cheerleader for 2 years at Huntington University.
Favorite Optimist Memory-Akash Jain’s clearly spoken exhortation, “READ MY LIPS!!!!” Thank you Bill! We appreciate everything you have done and continue to do for the club!
- The Fall New Member Orientation will be available for any member that has joined within the last 5 years to learn more about the club and what being an Optimist really means. The meeting will be held on Thursday, September 10th from 7-7:45am at CafeMod (by Carson’s). Talk to Ot Schroeder if you have any questions.
- Indiana Bicentennial will be next year. They are looking for torch bearers to carry the torch. The person nominated should show public service, achievement, acts of herosim, and volunteer service within the community. Please let Rick Kerlin know if you have a nomination for this role. It would be great to have a Warsaw Breakfast Optimist involved for this!
None this morning.
50/50: Michele Bickel was today’s winner!
Sergeants-at-Arms: Jeff, Bob and Steve DID NOT entertain us as they were not present this morning! Joel Wihebrink and Trace Hansen stepped up to the plate and lead the pack:
- $1 Fine:
- Jen Pyle for having her engagement picture in the paper.
- Jim Hayes for forgetting the lap top this morning.
- Bill Landrigan for only being a cheerleader in college for 2 years.
- Tracy Furnivall for coming to the meeting today and not collecting any money.
- Rick Kerlin for calling KT Kishan Akash in the meeting.
- Jerry Titus for interrupting the CEO report for Bill Landrigan.
- Chad Zaucha for wasting Trina’s time and requesting another photo for the Optimist Directory today.
- $Optimistic $1:
- Carla Carlton announced Saturday, September 19th will be the annual 5k run/walk to raise funds for the Dog Park.
- Joel Wihebrink for his daughter being on the golf team.
Dave Anson from Warsaw Community Schools Athletitcs spoke this morning. He shared how the group raises money and spends money throughout the year. He thanked our group for supporting them and feels blessed to be in our community. Thank you for your presentation this morning Dave!
- Invite a Guest.
- Clean up tables.
Next Week’s Program: Seasons Home Care-Karen Kauffman.
Next Week’s guests: WCHS Girls Cross Country-Mathew Campbell.
Quote: “There is abundant reason to believe that optimist-big, little, and in between –is useful to a person because positive expectations can be self-fulfilling.” -Christopher Peterson.
Have a safe and very Optimist Week!