Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
11/26 Wed. Boy Scout Bake Sale
12/3 WCHS CTO/Brad Hagg
12/10 YMCA/Chad Zaucha
12/17 Christmas Carols
12/24 NO MEETING
12/31 White Elephant Auction
President Rick Kerlin led our meeting.
92 Optimists & guests:
- David Robertson-Guest of Scott Reust.
- Creigh Ogle-Guest (daughter) of Doug Ogle.
- Greg Rauen-Guest of Joe Wilkey.
- David Kolbe-Guest of Trina Hoy.
- WCHS Swim & Dive Team-Anthony DeBrota.
- Warsaw Community High School Orchestra (Program).
Door Greeters: Andy Swihart & Eric Lane.
Prayer: Bill Landrigan
Pledge was given to the American flag.
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honorees: Fred Nieter, Craig Snow, Ann Sweet and Creigh Ogle. Happy Birthday!
Camile Kerlin from the Octagon Club presented a $250 check to Tracy Furnivall for Baker Youth Club Programs this morning! The Octagon club is actively involved at Baker Youth Club and helps tutor kids every Tuesday and much more!
Jenna Secrist conducted
- First reading for:
- David Robertson-Sponsored by Scott Reust.
CEO Report (Club Essential Optimists):
Jenna Secrist announced Dave Turner.
- Dave has been an Optimist member since 1973, but had to drop out in 1977 due to lack of employment. He has had perfect attendance since he rejoined in 1978! He has been married to Claudia for 42 years. He has 4 children, 10 grandchildren and one great granddaughter who is 6 months old. He is a semi-retired Environmental Chemist/Biologist. His hobbies include Marine Reef Aquarium, he plays the Trombone and he is one of the original Optimist Singers. His activities of interest include being a former Optimist Board Member during Mike Forman’s administration and the Triathlon. Dave has lived in Warsaw, Leesburg and Winona Lake since 1972. His burning desire is to know all of his family acknowledges and loves God, and as of March of this year that is the case! Something no one know about Dave is that he LOVES Excel! He uses it for nearly everything he does. His key to success is to Love God and work a little towards goals each day, honesty no deal is a “good deal” unless it is a “good deal” for all parties. Optimist Memory goes back to selling Christmas Trees in the Root Beer Stand. He came inside and complained to a fellow Optimist Member about a woman he helped, that made him pick up EVERY tree in the lot and decided to buy the first tree he showed her. Only to have the fellow Optimist Member respond, “That was my wife, but I was NOT going to help her find a dang tree!” Honors include: 2008 Indiana Environmental Leadership Award. Thank you for sharing and being an ESSENTIAL member in our group!
- Merl Heckaman announced there are still a few spots available to ring the bell for the Salvation Army.
- Coach Jim Kessler discussed Hoops for Hope on November 21-22. They have different sponsorship opportunities ranging from $100-$500. Ask them for more information!
- Luke Becknell canned food drive is today.
- Are you on Facebook, be sure you go to our page (https://www.facebook.com/warsawoptimist) and “Like Us.”
- Cub Scout cake auction will be 11/26/14.
- December 5th will be a Club Visitation at Das Essenhaus in Middlebury, IN.
- Please add email@example.com to your safe sender email list!
50/50: None today.
Video: Was shown for students, parents, and teachers in the room.
Sergeants-at-Arms: Jeff Owens, Dr. Steven Hollar & Bob Jackson entertained us:
- 5 Things You Need To Know about….
- Pamela Galloway:
- Turkey/Ham = Turkey.
- Cranberries-Love/Hate = Love.
- Favorite dessert = Pecan Pie.
- Top Priority-Nap, Football, Cleanup = Clean up.
- First name of person you will fight with = Rebecca.
- Pamela Galloway:
- $1 Charge:
- David Illingworth for a student, Josh, wearing a Toyota shirt.
- Joel Wihebrink and Merl Heckaman for benefiting from this new weather we are experiencing.
- Frank Grose for his grandson (Lucas) being in the paper.
- Gina Voelz for her daughter signing with U of I to play volleyball.
- David Kolbe for catering to the women voters.
- Rick Kerlin in comparison to his daughter (Camille) as President of an organization.
- Optimistic $1:
- K.T. Kishan in gratitude for his neighbor, Rick Kerlin, cleaning his yard while he was on vacation.
- Joel Wihebrink had Jaden Parrot stand up to be recognized as he will be attending IUPUI on the swim team.
- George Brennan announced that Grossnickle Eye Center has tickets for a Bus Trip down to the Colts game for sale at $135/ticket if anybody is interested.
- Fred Nieter gave announced his 86th birthday is Friday and for his birthday he is NOT going to tell us a story!
- Marty Becker recognized the Warsaw High School for their recent production of the Wizard of Oz.
- Kris Farwelll updated us that the 1st LEGO League tournament and that Wawasee won.
- Rick Kerlin announced his daughter, Camille Kerlin, helped raise $3.2 Million Dollars for Riley Hospital. She was even on TV in Fort Wayne.
- Luke Beckness announced $369 was raised for the food drive today, thank you everyone!
Warsaw Community High School Orchestra played for us this morning. Thank you for the live performance!
- Next week’s Program – Cub Scout Cake Auction.
- Clean up tables.
- Invite a Guest.
- Quote of the week: “I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.” -Winston Churchill.