Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
4/8-History of Circus Program/Jim Reeve
4/15-Friends of WCS & Boys Track & Field-Coach Matt Thacker
4/22-Warsaw Parks/Liz McKinley & Girls Tennis-Rick Orban
4/29-Mayor Thallemer & Softball-Coach Jim Speicher
5/6-WCHS Soccer Camp/Ryan Burgher
5/20-Memorial Day Singers
5/27-WCS Superintendent/David Hoffert
President Rick Kerlin led our meeting.
92 Optimists & guests:
- Carla Carlson–guest of Lyle Enyeart.
- Kris Shipley-guest of Juergen Voss.
- Fred Vining-guest of Larry Bishop.
- Jason Gergely-guest of Rick Kerlin.
Door Greeters: Kristin Farwell.
Prayer: Dave Turner.
Pledge was given to the American flag. JROTC presented the flags this morning. Great job!
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honorees: Pat Donkers, welcome back and Happy Birthday!
- Adam Turner presented a check in the amount of $2,000 to Mike Bergren for Riley Radio Days.
- Chad Zaucha presented a check in the amount of $300 to Jim Reeve for the Kosciusko County Fair Easter Egg Hunt.
Mike Cox conducted:
- 1st Reading:
- Carla Carlton-sponsored by Lyle Enyeart.
- 1st Reading:
- Jason Gergely-sponsored by Rick Kerlin.
- 3nd Reading:
- Kris Shipley-sponsored by Juergan Voss.
- Jeff Owens announced the Oratorical District Contest winners were our candidates, Daniel was first place and Giana was a close second. Congrats to our students and that participated. The next contest will be on April 25th.
- Car Show will be in May 17th.
- Golf Outing will be June 18th.
- Riley Radio Days-March 26 & 27th 6-9am. Thank you to those involved in helping this year!
- Jim Reeve announced the Cub Scout Pack 3736 Spaghetti Dinner will be Sat. March 28th from 4-7pm and the cost is $7 for an adult and $5 for a child (5-13).
- New Finance Committee will consist of Doug Baumgardner, George Brennan, Mitch Reinholt and Akash Jain. The Board of Directors has reformed the Finance Committee to oversee the collection of dues for the club. Beginning April 1, 2015 billing cycle the finance committee will be contacting members who are delinquent after 60 days. If you are not receving your invoices for dues please contact one of the members of the finance committee to resolve the issue. To receive a complete copy of the dues collection policy you may contact any member of the Finance Committee.
- Everett Nifong is asking for Nominations for the Nominating Committee. The term will begin in November. Please let him know if you have a nomination.
- All members who served in the military were recognized this morning!
- Please add email@example.com to your safe sender email list!
- Are you on Facebook, be sure you go to our page (https://www.facebook.com/warsawoptimist) and “Like Us.”
50/50: Ron Chambers was the winner of the $128.01 pot this morning!
Jennifer Pyle announced: Jim Hayes.
Jim has been a member since March 1990. He is married to his wife Susan. They have four cats. His occupation is A Process Controls CADD Designer @ Shambaugh & Son LP. His hobbies include electronics, computers, sailing and woodworking. His activities of interest are sex, drugs and Rock & Roll. Something that nobody knows about Jim is one of his first jobs in Muncie, IN was delivering pizzas. He would deliver them to Phil Haines at Ball Memorial Hospital and sneak in the back door. Phil had a wonderful sense of humor and always had a joke to tell. Phil told Jim about his brother Dr. Haines who turned me into an Optimist, but it was Phil who taught me to be an Optimist! Jim’s key to success is being a good servant of the Lord. His Optimist memory is back in the late 80’s the club lost several members and so the club had a membership drive and the club was meeting at the Holiday Inn at this time. The club grew and the enthusiasm from the members was exciting to be part of the growth. That year, the club not only added enough members to replace the ones lost, but went on to be a Distinguished Honor Club that year. Jim’s honors include: Optimist of the Year, Life Member, Student of the Week, Triathlon, Directory, Media Tech, Perfect Attendance 1990-1999 & 2000-2014. Thank you for sharing Jim, we appreciate you as a Club Essential Optimist and ALL that you do for the club!
Sergeants-at-Arms: Jeff and Steve entertained us:
- $1 Charge:
- Max Mock-since Jerry Titus helped us get started on the Optimist Creed.
- Pat Donkers for her Birthday and being in FL.
- Ron Donkers for being in FL.
- Mike Bergren it cost $1 for $2,000.
- Greg Kralis for telling us all about our greeter this morning.
- Jim Reeves for forgetting to use clip art on his Spaghetti Dinner announcement.
- Adam Turner for the nominations coming up.
- John Teevan for being a pastor and having people sleep during sermons.
- $Optimistic $1:
- Mickey Smethers spoke for Akash on his daughters sweater project efforts.
- 5 Things You Need To Know about….
- John Kirkpatrick:
- Will the Cubbies win = No.
- Who will = Hopefully the Reds, but probably LA Angels of CA.
- DH (Designated Hitter), fan/not = Yes.
- Jack Buck/Harry Carey = Harry Carey.
- Do you know the words to “Take Me Out To The Ball Game?” = Yes, and a nice group effort by all!
- John Kirkpatrick:
Club member, David Robertson, who is the Chief Academic Officer for Warsaw Community Schools presented this morning. He discussed upcoming updates for the 2015-2016 year which include AP courses and dual credit courses. David shared the success that the W.I.L.L. (Warsaw Inquiry Learning Lab) has had and how it has been to 86 classrooms and encouraged 2150 students so far. The Feed My Starving Children Program helped pack over 1million meals for kids in Haiti, Uganda and Honduras and they are excited to be involved with the program again this year. It was a great program, thank you for sharing David!
For more information contact:
David Robertsen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Invite a Guest.
- Clean up tables.
- Next Week’s Program: Sarah Masterson-Chiropractic.
- Quote: “I’m an optimist. I’ve always believed the future is going to be better than the past. And I also believe I have a role in that. The great thing about human beings, myself in particular, is that I can change. I can do better. If you can get up every day, stay optimistic and believe the future is better than the past, those few things get you through a lot of tough times.” –Jefrey Immelt.