Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
6/19 Thur. Optimist Golf Outing
6/25 Wed. Registration Packets for Triathlon
6/28 Sat. Triathlon
7/2 Wed. Rebecca Bazzoni / Jacobs Ladder
7/9 Wed. Christon Clark / Habitat for Humanity
7/16 Wed. Mayor Dr. Joe Thallemer / State of the City
7/23 Wed. Warsaw Area Career Center / Ronna Kawsky
7/23 Wed. Cheerleaders
7/30 Wed. Paragon
8/1 Fri. Penguin Point and Optimist Big Wheel Race
8/6 Wed. Boys Soccer
8/8 Fri. Indiana North District Golf Outing
8/8 & 9 Fri. & Sat. Indiana North District Convention at Warsaw
8/13 Wed. Boys Cross Country
8/20 Wed. Boys Tennis
9/3 Wed. Girls Soccer
9/10 Wed. Girls Golf
9/10 Wed. WCHS Athletics / Dave Anson
9/17 Wed. Crystal Heckaman / Rachel’s Challenge – Friends of Rachel
President Everett Nifong led our meeting.
87 Optimists & 4 guests:
- Guy Fisher-Program
- Stacy Rhodes-Guest of Lynn Kendall
- Joe Wood-Guest of Fred Nieter
- Brooke Hamstra-Guest of Rick Kerlin
Door Greeters: Andy Swihart and Rich Haddad. Andy reminded us all to make sure we pay our dues! Rich announced his recent 29th Wedding Anniversary. Congratulations Rich!
Prayer: David Turner led us in prayer.
Pledge was given to the American flag.
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honoree: Lecia Derrossett-Nunez.
Mebership Chair Kellie Malcolm conducted:
- Brooke Hamstra-Sponsored by President Elect Rick Kerlin.
- 7th Annual Golf Outing–Will be held on Thursday, June 19th at Stonehenge. We have 100 players registered and ready to scramble!
- 21st Annual Triathlon–Scheduled for Saturday, June 28th at Winona Lake. We have 371 racers registered at this time and more spots to fill before race day!
- Make sure you get your quarterly dues paid to Andy Swihart!
- There will NOT be a meeting July 2nd.
- The July 9th meeting will be at Baker Youth Club (765 W Market Street).
- Indiana North District Convention will be held in Warsaw, Friday & Saturday, August 8th & 9th. We will have a fun Golf Outing on Friday the 8th and there will also be a miniature golf outing at Paiges’s Crossing.
Spotlight-Car Show Committee:
John Elliot received an email from Donna Wentzel from PT Cruisers of Michiana on 6/16/14 complimenting our 2014 Optimist Downtown Car Show and said it was organized, that our staff was friendly and knowledgeable and that as VERY nicely done! Kudos to all of the gang who helped with the Car Show event this year!!
Sergeants-at-Arms:Luke Becknell andLyle Enyeart entertained us:
- $1 Charge-
- Lynn Kendall was charged for bringing a guest (Stacy Rhodes) and sitting at the “girls table.”
- Merl Heckaman was charged $2 for having “double vision.” (See next bullet point).
- Marck Caruso and Ralph Turner were charged for dressing alike and having a similar hair do. (Pointed out by Merl Heckaman).
- Dr. K.T. Kishan was charged for a Female Dr. (his “other half”) being in the news.
- Bob Jackson was charged for not participating in the Optimist Song although he was discussing the upcoming Optimist Golf Outing.
- David Benning was charged because Luke Becknell doesn’t have anything better to do.
- Ron Chambers was charged for playing cards with the Donker’s and winning against them. Basically saying that “the Donkers are loosers!” (Lyle Enyeart implied).
- Ron Donkers was charged for explaining that they played cards with Ron Chamber on Father’s Day and that the Ron Donkers “allowed” Ron Chambers to win since he claimed Ron Chambers doesn’t have very many Father’s Days’ left.
- Bill Katip was charged for being 1st set of losers at the Grace Village Golf Outing.
- Fred Neiter paid $1 to share a funny story about a waiter with his “hands on” a customer’s food.
- Happy $1-
- Joe Sutton paid $1 for Fred’s story being funny AND short today.
- Craig Nayrocker paid $1 saying the new Optibullette that was created last week looks great!
- Joel Wihebrink paid $1 to announce his son, Ian, was awarded “Swimmer of the Week” at a state swim camp held at Purdue University. He was selected out of 130 total kids). Way to go Ian!!
- Rob Eding paid $1 because Luke Becknell couldn’t think of anything to fine him for.
- Merl Heckaman paid $1 and told a “Bear in a Bar” joke.
Guy Fisher from Goodwill of Michiana, Inc. spoke about Goodwill and many of the different aspects of the company. Reverend Edgar Helms c.1902 from Bostom, MA originally created the concept of the Goodwill model (Donate → Shop → Training) that is still used today. Some highlights of the presentation include:
- Goodwill collected 19+ million pounds of donated items in 2013.
- Goodwill Rocks is a Recycled Granite Products program that was created just this year.
- Goodwill has an E-commerce site: www.shopgoodwill.online.
- Goodwill has several programs to help train people with soft and hard skill sets for a variety of jobs.
- Goodwill has an Industrial Services to offer Businesses.
It is great to have such a dynamic company in our community! For more information contact:
Presenter: Guy Fisher