Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Wednesday, July 1, 2015
7/8-Warsaw Times-Union/Gary Gerard (@ BYC)
7/15-Civil War/Davy Troxel (@ BYC)
7/29-Lakes and Streams/Nate Bosch
President Rick Kerlin led our meeting.
87 Optimists & guests:
- Kirk Ray-CEO of Kosciusko Community Hospital
- Bill Trasher-guest and son-in-law to Larry Bishop.
- Dave Mitchell.
- Krista Harding.
Door Greeters: Everett Nifong and Mickey Smethers.
Prayer: Ron Henry.
Pledge was given to the American flag.
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honorees: Ricardo Scarlett, Brenda Bricker, Angie Tom, Roland Kramer, John Burtoft & Dave Wolkins. Happy Birthday!
Check Presentation: None today.
- Triathlon update, 454 registered and 392 participated. First time doing kayaks this year was a success. First time participants from MyTriump enjoyed the race as well. This year was the most challenging year for weather we have ever had, but all in all it was a great race! Thank you to all who participated or volunteered this year!
Mike Cox conducted:
- 3rd Reading:
- Mike Hollingsworth-sponsored by Joel Wihebrink.
- Chris Hanson-sponsored by Joel Wihebrink.
Jen Pyle announced-Sam Whitaker.
Member since August 18, 2014.
His wife is Jennifer.
Anniversary-January 5, 1996.
Children-Claudia Keirn, Michael Whitaker & Shelby Whitaker.
Grandchildren-2 Grandsons and 5 Granddaughters.
Pets-Cat (named Bear).
City of residence-6 miles south of Warsaw for 40 years.
Occupation-33 years Kosciusko County Sherriff’s Department, 3 years Kosciusko Prosecutor’s Office.
Hobbies-(According to his wife) pre-deer hunting, deer hunting, post deer hunting, hunting and talking about deer hunting.
Burning Desire-To stop laughing when Jim Hayes sings HAIL Optimist song.
Key to Success-Hard work, be prepared in everything you do.
Honors-Rookie of the Year, Past President, Past Lieutenant Governor, Optimist of the Year, Pillar of the Community, past Board of Directors.
Something nobody know-His life is an open book.
Favorite Optimist Memory-The year he was president, the first meeting after New Year’s Day, Merle Heckman came to the meeting wearing nothing but a diaper and a sign that stated 2010 New Years Baby. YOU WON’T FORGET THAT ANYTIME SOON! And, selling Christmas trees with David Taylor: he brought many different kinds of coffee and lots of different kinds of pastries and we had to try them all. At the table I sat at Chub Smith and Bill Dalton died, Jim Reeve became president and I decided that may be the best choice so I followed Jim Reeve rather than Chub and Bill. Rick Kerlin did the same.
Thank you for sharing Sam! We appreciate ALL you have done and ALL that you do for the club!
- Indiana North District Convention is August 7th & 8th and it will be right here in our own backyard at the Wyndam Gardens. We are the host club with John Sullivan organizing. Be sure to SAVE THE DATE!
- Don’t forget our meetings on July 8th & 15th will be held at Baker Youth Club.
50/50: Dave Benning was today’s winner and he donated it all back to the club!
Sergeants-at-Arms: Jeff, Bob & Steve entertained us:
- $1 Charge:
- Merle for wanting his pen back.
- John Burtoft for being late on his birthday.
- Chris Hanson for being on vacation and missing the Triathlon.
- Former Grace graduate, Ron Donkers is being replaced by THREE guys for the Triathlon next year.
- Sam Whitaker’s table.
- 5 Questions:
- Jason Zaugg
- How long have you lived here? 3 years.
- Favorite TV Dr? Guy from scrubs, Kelso.
- Which question is harder to live with? Does this make my butt look big?
- Seams or no seams? No seams.
- Favorite CEO? Kirk Ray.
- $Optimistic $1:
- Dave Benning for his 10th wedding anniversary.
Kirk Ray the CEO of Kosciusko Community Hospital presented this morning. He shared some interesting news about their group. They are opening a new Orthopaedic Center soon, which Dr. Williams will be leading. They also recently purchased the Multi-township EMS. Thank you for presenting this morning. Great job!
- Invite a Guest.
- Clean up tables.
Next Week’s Program: Gary Gerard-Times Union.
Quote: “Gardening is all about Optimism.” -Mary Anne Rodmacher.
Have a very Optimist Week!