Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Wednesday, January 27, 2016
2/3-History of Basketball/Jim Kessler
2/10-YEA!/Jennifer Pyle & Andrea Reed
2/17-WISE/Brooke Hamstra & Chris Mahan
President, Trace Hansen, led our meeting.
100 Optimists & guests:
- Brian Brauchla-guest of John Kirkpatrick.
- Jennifer Collins-guest of Bill Crane.
- Collin-guest of John Teevan.
- Octagon President, Joe Jackson, and 3 members.
Door Greeters: George Brennan & Larry Bishop.
Prayer: Everett Nifong.
Pledge was given to the American flag.
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honorees: Happy Birthday to Scott Reust and Dr. Carla Carlton!
Check Presentation: Pam Galloway presented a check to Chad Zaucha for the YMCA in the amount of $1,000 to help fund their life saving skill of swimming for kids.
Pam Galloway conducted:
- 1st Reading:
- Brian Brauchla-sponsored by John Kirkpatrick
CEO Report: None this week.
- Jeff Owens-Oratorical Contest will be on Friday, March 11th. We need volunteers, so contact Jeff if you are interested.
- Chris Wiggins-Tri-Star Basketball/Soccer will be held on Sunday, February 21st from 1-3pm. Please help spread the word, for kids ages 8-13 to participate in basketball drills like passing, dribbling through cones, and shooting.
- Everett Nifong-9th Annual Golf Outing will be on June 16th. They are looking for Tee Sponsors and volunteers for the event. Planning to have the first committee meeting on February 8th at 5:15pm at Clevenger Insurance Agency.
- Joe Jackson, President of the Octagon Club shared that they had a record year last year for the Fall Displays, they made $3,585. They will be back next week to ask for canned goods and donations for their Superbowl of Caring Project that helps support Our Father’s House.
- We need greeters to sign up to greet our members at our weekly meetings!
- We are going to be having our Student of the Week students attend the next 6 weeks, so make sure we all help them feel welcomed and congratulate them!
- District meeting was held on January 23rd at Ivy Tech in Fort Wayne. Several of our club members received awards:
- Ron Donkers
- Trina Hoy
- John Sullivan
- Marty Becker
- Ot Schroeder
- Andy Swihart
- Michele Bickel
- Rick Kerlin
Congratulations to all of our outstanding club members!
Sheriff’s Report: Harry gave us an update on Bill Landrigan, he is now using a walker and hopes to be on crutches soon. Phone calls are going well and they are getting a few responses.
50/50: Bruce Hansen won this week!
Videos: Golf Magician video was played.
Sergeants-at-Arms: Bob Bishop and Joel Wihebrink entertained us…
- Several members who have had video training in the armed forces commented on an old training video “Where is the little girl.”
- Bruce Hansen for winning 50/50.
- Chad Zaucha for trying to steal Tracy Furnivall’s identity.
- Fred’s weekly joke.
- Ot Schroeder recognized Joel Wihebrink for his efforts and assistance with the Octagon Club. Last year he helped remove 49 displays with the use of his 4 company trucks in less than 3 hours. Well done Joel!
Lakeland Youth Chorale performed for us this morning! Each group sang 2 songs and had great performances. We appreciate all of them coming so early in the morning to put on such a great show. Thank you!
- Invite a guest next week.
- Clean up tables.
Next Week’s Program: History of Basketball
- Quote: “Einstein’s three Rules of the week: Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
Have a Great and Optimistic week!