Wednesday, December 2, 2015
Wednesday, December 2, 2015
12/9-WACC/Ronna Kawsky and Gymnastics
12/16-Kosciusko Cares/Marsha Carey
12/30-White Elephant Auction
President, Trace Hansen, led our meeting.
97 Optimists & guests:
- Mark Terrel-guest of John Elliot.
- Jeff Crawford-guest of Jennifer Pyle.
- Jeff Servies-guest of John Kirkpatrick.
- Warsaw High School Coach, Justin Smith, and Team members.
Door Greeters: Fred Nieter & Ron Henry.
Prayer: Randy Polston.
Pledge was given to the American flag.
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honorees: Happy Birthday to Troy Tom, Larry Tucker, Mike Metzger, Jim Hayes and Rick Swaim!
Check Presentation: Mitch Goon presented a check to Tracy Furnivall for Baker Youth Club in the amount of $2,000. The money will help purchase Christmas presents for the BYC Christmas party on Dec. 17th.
Mike Cox conducted:
- 1st Reading:
- Jeff Servies-sponsored by John Kirkpatrick.
Denny Andrews inducted:
- Mark Terrell-sponsored by John Elliott, Tracy Furnivall stepped in for John.
- Rick Swaim-sponsored by John Sullivan.
Welcome to the club gentlemen! We look forward to getting to know you more and working with you to help the youth in our community!
Jennifer Pyle announced-Joel Wihebrink.
Member since-January 2006.
Children-(2) Delaney (Freshman at WCHS, 15 yrs old) Ian (5th grader at Washington, 11 yrs old).
Pets-Lab, Poodle Mix named Chandeler.
City of residence-Warsaw for 20 yrs + summers.
Occupation-Owner of Wihebrink Landscape Management, Inc.
Hobbies-Sailing, skiing, barefooting, traveling, swimming, and coaching.
Burning Desire-Sail all the islands in the eastern Caribbean from the Bahamas to Aruba. Then decide whether to go through the Panama Canal through the Pacific.
Key to Success-The Optimist Club, surrounding himself with smart people, his wife and kids and great coaches.
Honors-Past President, Board of Directors, Sergeant of Arms.
Something nobody know-He is the only person in 45 years what Western Kentucky University has had a swim team to walk on the team and get a full ride scholarship after his freshman year.
Favorite Optimist Memory-There are a lot of memories from unloading Christmas Trees with his daughter to the funny things that happen almost every week. His favorite memory is having the opportunity to be President. He had a really good time that year. Thank you Joel! We appreciate your dedication and ALL you do for the club!
- Merl Heckaman recognized the members who helped ring the bells for the Salvation Army. Thank you to all who participated!
- Andrew O’Connell announced the Santa House will be at First Friday this Friday from 6-8pm. On Saturday and Sunday will will be down at the Center Lake Park next to the hot chocolate stand from 4-6pm and Sunday from 2-4pm. Make sure you bring your family by!
- Annual Holiday pass the basket will be sent around in March of 2016.
- Reminder the Club needs YOUR help. We are looking for:
- Members to help with the Program Committee for next year.
- Jim Hayes is looking for some help on the slides for the weekly meetings as well as the Certificates next year.
- We will be passing the Tip Basket for the Penguin Point servers the next two weeks, so please plan accordingly. They do a great job every week for us!
Sheriff’s Report: Bill Landrigan provided a report.
50/50: Jim Hayes was today’s winner!
Videos: None today.
Sergeants-at-Arms: Robert Bishop, Tim Hamman and Joel Wihebrink entertained us:
- Paul Heaton for trying to be a sergeant.
- Bell Ringers who did not show…Robert Bishop and John Ames, but he covered somebody else’s shift. Merl will have an update for us next week.
- Jim Hayes for winning 50/50.
- Kyle Dukes for the 10 point buck that he “shot” and did not retrieve.
- John Sullivan for trying to buy a scope with his credit card.
- Marty Becker shared his bus tour fine story with us from New York where he was fined $1,500.
- Charlie Hollar on behalf of his son, Steve, who was in the paper 10 years ago by being elected by his peers as a delegate from Indiana.
- Lyle Enyeart made an announcement for Dr. Carla Carlton. Lake City Animal Clinic is donating $100 of vet care to 10 local families in need. She is asking for our help to nominate somebody we know. On December 16th they will announce the winners.
- Doc Haines is going to visit his Aunt down in Indy that recently turned 109 years old.
- Ron Chambers’ granddaughter placed 1st place in all 4 events she participated in for the Mount Vernon Swim Team.
- Josh Gordon for Purdue Boilermaker Basketball Team being 7-0! Boiler Up!
- Andy Swihart
- 1) Favorite meal for Thanksgiving? = Turkey and dressing.
- 2) Favorite dessert? = Peanut Butter Pie.
- 3) After meal nap or football? = Football.
- 4) Who did you watch? = Bears vs. Packers (the right team won).
- 5) What are you thankful for? = His health.
Our newest member, Mark Terrell, from Lifeline and Crosswinds presented this morning. He shared information on the services they provide and their passion for helping people. Great job Mark! You are doing amazing things to help the youth in our community! Thank you for all of your contributions and for presentation this morning! Great job!
- Invite a guest next week.
- Clean up tables.
- Next Week’s Program: 12/9-WACC/Ronna Kawsky and Gymnastics.
- Quote: “See the glass half-full, then fill it the rest of the way.” Author Unknown.
Have a very Optimist week!