Wednesday, August 5, 2015
Wednesday, August 5, 2015
8/19-Sushi/Aung from Owen’s
8/26-Kosciusko Home Care & Hospice/Kim Nance
9/9-WCHS Athletics/Dave Anson
9/16-Seasons HomeCare/Karen Kauffman
President Rick Kerlin led our meeting.
101 Optimists & guests:
- Austin Donavan-guest of Trace Hansen.
- Bill Crane-guest of Denny Andrews.
- Max Sherman-Program.
- Jarod Osborne-guest of Don Reinholt.
Door Greeters: Mitch Goon & Andy Swihart.
Prayer: Dave Benning.
Pledge was given to the American flag.
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honorees: Happy Birthday to Jason Mathews, John Elliot, Kevin Marose and Steve Hollar!
Mel’s Marauders Award (from District Governor):
Check Presentation: Mitch Reinholt presented a check to Tracy Furnival for Baker Youth Club in the amount of $500.
- None today.
Mike Cox announced 3rd Reading:
- Austin Donavan-sponsored by Trace Hansen.
Jennifer Pyle announced-Andy Swihart.
Children-Austin, Alec, Aric & Aidan.
Pets-Horse, dog, 2 goats, a duck, a cat and a chinchilla.
City of residence-Warsaw since 1994.
Hobbies-Riding and family trips.
Burning Desire-That his boys are happy and successful at whatever they do.
Key to Success-Hard work and who you know.
Honors-CEO – 21 years an Optimist.
Something nobody know-He can play the piano.
Favorite Optimist Memory-Helping Phil Eherman set up the very 1st Triathlon. Thank you for sharing Andy! We appreciate ALL you have done and ALL that you continue to do for the club!
- We are in the process of updating the Optimist Directory, get with Jason Rich or Jim Hayes
- Indiana North District Convention is this weekend, August 7th & 8th and it will be right here at the Wyndam Gardens. We are the host club with John Sullivan organizing. Please come out and to help show your involvement!
- 35th Annual Big Wheel Race will be held this Friday, August 7th @ 7pm. Let David Meijer know if you can help volunteer.
- Board meeting will be held on August 17th this month.
- Ron Donkers had an operation on his nose yesterday and Patti fell down steps and broke her collar bone. Please keep them in your prayers!
None this morning.
50/50: Jim Bricker was today’s winner of the $51.50 pot!
Sergeants-at-Arms: Jeff, Bob and Steve entertained us:
- $1 Fine:
- Charlie Hollar-75 years ago in the paper, said he was born in June.
- Brenda Heiner is now Brenda Bricker and her Optimist Certificate has been corrected. (Sorry if that is misspelled).
- The back 2 tables were fined for their fellowship not stopping at 7am today and chatting during the meeting.
- Paul Heaton recently broke up a knife fight that had something to do with Larry Tucker Insurance agency.
- Ron Chambers for taking someone to the hospital.
- Dave Wolkins for showing up today.
- Don Kenipe gave a quarter for Wayne Snyder, as he saw Wayne at Wendy’s and Wayne asked him to give it to the club to mention his name.
- 5 Questions:
- Mitch Goon (School starting)
- Where did you go to Elementary school? Atwood Elementary.
- Who was your favorite teacher? His 5th Grade teacher, Terry.
- What was your favorite subject?
- Did you ever fail a class?
- Were you ever sent to the principal’s office with a whack? He said they were introduced a few times.
- $Optimistic $1:
- Bill Landrigan for his daughter Jill, who is up in the air right now on her way to Haiti.
- Jason Rich for helping raise $8,000 for CCS.
- Brenda Bricker for 1) transferring to their Warsaw office of Edward Jones this month, 2) for her daughter who recently closed on a loan for her new condo, and 3) her son earned his Masters of Education in Counseling Psychology from the University of Louisville.
Max Sherman presented this morning all about Mindfulness. He talked about society’s distraction addiction and gave statistics on how on average people are online 60 hrs a month. He defined Mindfulness as mental training that develops sustained attention that can change the way people think, act and feel. It is the art of paying attention with an open and curious mind to present moment experiences or as the ability to attend to a task without distraction. Thank you for presenting Max, we will all try to be more Mindful this week!
- Invite a Guest.
- Clean up tables.
Next Week’s Program: AWL-Darla M.
Quote: “No Christian can be a pessimist, for Christianity is a system of radical optimism.” -William Inge.
Have a very Optimist Week!