Wednesday, April 1, 2015
Wednesday, April 1, 2015
4/8-History of Circus Program/Jim Reeve
4/15-Friends of WCS & Boys Track & Field-Coach Matt Thacker
4/22-Warsaw Parks/Liz McKinley & Girls Tennis-Rick Orban
4/29-Mayor Thallemer & Softball-Coach Jim Speicher
5/6-WCHS Soccer Camp/Ryan Burgher
5/20-Memorial Day Singers
5/27-WCS Superintendent/David Hoffert
President Rick Kerlin led our meeting.
97 Optimists & guests:
- Leah Pucket–guest of Greg Kralis.
- Betsy Voss-guest (wife) of Juergen Voss.
- Michelle Voss-guest (daughter) of Juergen Voss.
- Matt Voss-guest (son) of Juergen Voss.
- Jason Gergely-guest of Rick Kerlin.
Door Greeters: Trina Hoy (Trina for VICE President because she is NICE, It’s a JOY to vote for HOY) & Jenna Secrist (Trina’s campaign manager).
Prayer: John Teevan.
Pledge was given to the American flag.
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honorees: Mark Skibouski, Sarah Masterson, Trina Hoy & Don Kenipe. Happy Birthday!
- Michele Bickel presented a check in the amount of $500.00 to Matt Voss for Lake City Skiers.
- Akash Jain presented a check in the amount of $500 to Larry Bishop for 4H Shooting Sports.
Kellie Malcolm conducted:
- 2nd Reading:
- Jason Gergely-sponsored by Rick Kerlin.
Max Mock inducted:
- Kris Shipley-sponsored by Juergen Voss.
- Everett Nifong announced we have some candidates for the new leadership team. We will be voting in April, let him know if you are interested.
- Car Show will be in May 17th.
- Golf Outing will be June 18th @ Stonehenge.
- Ron Chambers gave an update on the Club Visitation to Plymouth.
- Riley Radio Days was March 26 & 27th and it was a great success. Thank you to those involved in helping this year!
- District Meeting will be April 24 & 25 in Marion. See Michele Bickel to register.
- New Finance Committee will consist of Doug Baumgardner, George Brennan, Mitch Reinholt and Akash Jain. The Board of Directors has reformed the Finance Committee to oversee the collection of dues for the club. Beginning April 1, 2015 billing cycle the finance committee will be contacting members who are delinquent after 60 days. If you are not receving your invoices for dues please contact one of the members of the finance committee to resolve the issue. To receive a complete copy of the dues collection policy you may contact any member of the Finance Committee.
- Trace Hansen has pass outs for schools for Spring Break Skate, see him if you can help!
- Please add email@example.com to your safe sender email list!
- Are you on Facebook, be sure you go to our page (https://www.facebook.com/warsawoptimist) and “Like Us.”
50/50: Kevin Weaver was the winner of the $1109 pot this morning!
Jenna Secrist announced: Ron Donkers.
Jim has been a member since May of 1982. He has been married to Patty for almost 43 years. They have three children: Tim in New York, Susan in Greenville, SC and Tom in L.A. Tom will be married on June 5th. Ron does not have any grandchildren or pets at this time. For his occupation, he was Senior Director in the Knee Group, he retired from Zimmer in 2005. Ron enjoys playing golf, volunteer work for Optimist, United Way, Kosciusko Home Care and Hospice, and work on his brother’s farm. He likes to read and watch movies about history, especially war related stories. Ron likes college basketball (recent Kentucky convert – Bandwagon Ron!) He likes the Colts, BEARS, and Vikings. He is the Triathlon Race Director for our club. Ron was born and educate in Minnesota, but has been a resident of Warsaw since 1978. His burning desire is to take a train trip to western US and Canada. And to ride a donkey in the Grand Canyon. Something nobody knows about Ron, is he co-authored two technical books about orthopaedic topics and he is listed a co-inventor on several Zimmer knee patents. His key to success is his handsome appearance and the fact that he is a very humble person. His favorite Optimist memory is going to breakfast with the gang of Optimists on Thanksgiving morning and then unloading Christmas trees with his children when they were young. Ron’s honors include: Optimist of the Year, Optimist Club President, Lt. Governor of Zone #3, Indiana North District Governor and Patty’s husband since 1972. Thank you for sharing Ron, we appreciate you as a Club Essential Optimist and ALL that you do for the club!
Sergeants-at-Arms: Jeff, Steve and Bob entertained us:
- $1 Charge:
- Ron Chambers because nobody likes a tattle tale.
- State Representative Dave Wolkins.
- Rick Kerlin for “knowing” who Bob Jackson is.
- Steve Hollar announced he will be going to Indy Thursday for an exclusive Hoosiers interview. Watch for it on Monday!
- Don Reinholt for having 3 of the 4 teams still in the bracket.
- Akash Jain for his “exit door” incident, while wearing a sweater!
- $Optimistic $1: None today.
- 5 Things You Need To Know about….
- Doc Haines:
- What is an egg the sign of for Easter? = Rebirth and fertility. (He had 6 kids so he ate A LOT of eggs.)
- How many billion pounds of Easter candy is bought? = 2 Billion.
- Of that 2 Billion, what % is chocolate? = 70%.
- Of those chocolate bunnies, how do you eat it? = Ears first.
- What year did the Easter Egg Roll at the White House start? = 1878.
- We did have the first ever, Warsaw Breakfast Optimist Roller Skating Race. Contestants were: Luke Becknell, Jennifer Pyle, Sarah Masterson and Scott Reust. Everyone was a winner today!
- Doc Haines:
Club member, Sarah Masterson, a Chiropractor for the Warsaw area. Sarah presented on “How to stay young, the first 100 years.” She gave a lot of facts and emphasized that your spine can not be replaced! Great job Sarah!
For more information contact:
311 6th Street
Winona Lake, IN 46590
- Invite a Guest.
- Clean up tables.
- Next Week’s Program: History of the Circus-Jim Reeve.
- Quote: “To find optimism, look for the good things in life.” –Catherine Pulsifer.
Have a very Optimist Week!