Wednesday, July 29, 2015
8/19-Sushi/Aung from Owen’s
8/26-Kosciusko Home Care & Hospice/Kim Nance
9/9-WCHS Athletics/Dave Anson
9/16-Seasons HomeCare/Karen Kauffman
President Rick Kerlin led our meeting.
- Optimists & guests:
- Michelle Voss-guest of Kris Shipley.
- James Tanner-guest (son) of Gary Tanner.
- Austin Donavan-guest of Trace Hansen.
- Bill Crane-guest of Denny Andrews.
Door Greeters: Larry Tucker.
Prayer: Ivan Schuler.
Pledge was given to the American flag.
Promise yourself was said in unison.
Hail to Optimism was sung in unison.
Birthday Honorees: Happy Birthday Kyle Dukes!
Check Presentation: Jeff Owens presented a check to Nate Bosch for Lakes and Streams in the amount of $700.
Committee Reports: None today.
Mike Cox announced 2nd Reading:
- Austin Donavan-sponsored by Trace Hansen.
Jennifer Pyle announced-Steve Hollar.
Anniversary-11-29-90 (25 years this year).
Children-Bennett (Senior at Wheaton College), Meredith (Jr at Grace College), Jonny (Freshman at Butler).
Grandchildren-Not at this time of life.
Pets-Dog named Roxie.
City of residence-Warsaw for his lifetime.
Hobbies-Golf, Travel and Family.
Burning Desire-To travel around the world on a 30 day trip.
Key to Success-Retire and you go. Realize God is your light and savior.
Honors-Sergent at Arms.
Something nobody know-He just got back from Iceland.
Favorite Optimist Memory-Selling Christmas trees with Mike Hall and calling the President of the club, Dr. Joe Thallemer, that the camper was on fire and seeing him speed down to the fairgrounds to investigate the non-fire. Thank you for sharing Steve! We appreciate ALL you have done and ALL that you continue to do for the club!
- Indiana North District Convention is August 7th & 8th and it will be right here in our own backyard at the Wyndam Gardens. We are the host club with John Sullivan organizing. Be sure to SAVE THE DATE!
- 35th Annual Big Wheel Race will be held on Friday, August 7th @ 7pm.
Bill gave a report.
50/50: George Brennan was today’s winner of the $108 pot!
Sergeants-at-Arms: Jeff and Steve entertained us:
- $1 Fine:
- Teacher table-for chatting so much during the meeting.
- Anyone who lives on the lake with a No Wake Zone.
- Sam Whitaker wasn’t paying attention during the meeting.
- Tracy Furnivall fined $2, for not attending the last two Optimist meeting held at BYC.
- 5 Questions:
- Rich Haddad (Iceland)
- 85% of their energy comes from?
- Several people believe in?
- What is considered a delicacy? Puffin Heart.
I only caught 3 questions this week…..oops sorry!
- $Optimistic $1:
- Randy Polston for his son, Nathan Polston, and his new role as Leesburg Elementary Principal.
- Jerry Titus for his grandson, Garret, being made Rugby Team Mate of the Year.
- Bruce Hansen gave two, 1) for his son’s recovering health from an accident and two brain aneurysms and 2) for Merl Heckaman being able to wear an Optimist Triathlon shirt from 3 years ago.
- Tracy Furnivall announced the Annual BYC Car Show will be next Friday, Aug. 7th for First Friday and they need some volunteers to help park the cars. Please contact him if you are interested.
Dr. Nathan Bosch from Center for Lakes & Streams presented this morning. He discussed chemical spills statistics, best practice procedures and preventative measures we can all take part in to help our community! They have been working on a project to help clear the trees in our river as well to help make it more of a tourist attraction. Thank you for presenting Nathan!
For more information contact:
Nathan S. Bosch, Ph. D.
Director Center for Lakes & Streams
Phone: (574) 372-5100
Fax: (574) 372-5124
- Invite a Guest.
- Clean up tables.
Next Week’s Program: Mindfulness-Max Sherman.
Quote: “Optimism is the harmony between man’s spirit and of God pronouncing His works good.” -Helen Keller.
Have a very Optimist Week!